Wednesday 1 March 2017

Raising Your First Kitten

Bringing your first kitten home is exciting and you are about to open up a whole new world with your new precious pet. I'll never forget the day I brought my first kitten home.
As a child I never grew up around cats really as my dad was super allergic and even a small amount of hair would swell his eyes and throat shut. So I never considered owning a cat myself.
One beautiful day in May, I was doing some shopping and saw a sign about a local pet store near by that was closing and of course they were having a blow-out sale to try to sell everything before closing their doors. Little did I know that after walking through that door I would fall in love with one of the most beautiful creatures that I could and would welcome into my home. A Bengal! It was love at first sight! He was striped so beautifully and that precious face melted my heart. After at first hearing the cost I was taken aback and had to really think about it. After a few minutes browsing through the store after telling the store owner I needed to think about it, he (the store owner) approached me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
So I bought everything I needed from the store. Litter box, a few cat toys, some dishes for his food and of course that precious bundle of fur in a box ready to go home. Tigger (as he was so named because of his stripes) was so scared!! I felt so bad and just wanted to comfort and cuddle him! But he wasn't going to have that. I am almost positive he was traumatized in some way.
Bringing him straight in the door and then introducing him to the house was a new struggle on it's own!! Nothing like bringing a puppy home which was the only thing I was really familiar with (besides cows and horses).
Tigger was skiddish and very cautious about his new surroundings as he had to get accustomed to the smell of a German shepherd who was one year old and very rambunctious. As he ran downstairs to the basement (where I strategically placed his litter box and installed a cat door) he found his safety in the corner behind the washing machine. I also added a small blanket that my dog slept with so he would get used to the smell of her.
He did not want to come out of the basement for almost a month! Even trying to coax with treats and toys I couldn't get very close. It took time and patience and I made sure to respect his space. Finally one day he crept upstairs and came out to me in the living room. Gave me a little purr and curled up on my lap. I was amazed! He had finally warmed up to me and trusted me after all that time.
A year later I was offered another kitten who I of course welcomed with open arms and the process was so much easier with him! I now have two very happy cats that absolutely love their momma. Even though it took time to learn and understand them I would never go back and change a thing. My advice though is if you are a first time kitten owner take the time to make sure that your kitten you want to bring home isn't so scared of you and if you do have one just take time with her or him and show them love and respect so they learn to trust you.